Rare video from ground zero on 9/11 »

On the morning of September 11, 2001, CBS News photojournalist Mark LaGanga’s mobile phone and residential landline rang concurrently. An editor on the CBS News nationwide desk was calling and directed LaGanga to drive to downtown Manhattan to shoot what, at the moment, was regarded as a small airplane crash on the World Trade Center.

Mark LaGanga after he shot his footage at ground zero on September 11, 2001

LaGanga, now a 60 Minutes cameraman, tried to make sense of the nightmare unfolding in entrance of him as he raced down Manhattan’s West Side Highway. Then he turned on his digital camera.


Nineteen years after the September eleventh terrorist assault, the footage LaGanga captured supplies a exceptional firsthand account of rescue employees at ground zero moments after the 2 planes hit. It additionally offers viewers a uncommon take a look at the 29 minutes of mud, confusion, and stillness in between the time the 2 World Trade Center towers collapsed.

“I saw the twin towers fall”

LaGanga arrived on the scene shortly after 10 a.m. He stood on his information truck to get a greater angle of the smoke billowing out of the north tower, not realizing that the south tower behind it had already fallen.

“There was so much dust and the street signs were hard to see that it never really dawned on me that one tower already came down,” he tells 60 Minutes Overtime within the video above.


As LaGanga walked from the freeway towards the bottom of the north tower, he interviewed passing firemen, asking the query on everybody’s thoughts: “What happened?”

On the road close to the remaining tower, New York City seemed unrecognizable, hazy and monochromatic. A thick layer of mud and soot caked each floor. LaGanga turned his digital camera upward to movie the north tower, smoldering and stark in opposition to a shiny blue sky.


Minutes later, it too would collapse. LaGanga’s digital camera stored rolling.

“It sounded like a jet flying over,” he says. “That’s why I panned up.”

As the constructing fell in on itself, individuals sprinted down the road, panicked. An ensuing wave of smoke and dirt engulfed LaGanga’s lens, and the display screen turned to black. Several minutes elapsed. Finally, he coughed.


“Boy, that was close,” a voice stated at the hours of darkness.  

LaGanga tells Overtime that he returned to movie the rescue and restoration at ground zero for per week after the assault. Remarkably, he says he is skilled no adversarial well being results on account of his time on the positioning.

Mark LaGanga in 2018

Since then, LaGanga has continued working as a photojournalist, most just lately for “60 Minutes.”

“At the end of the day, what we’re trying to do is capture real moments,” he says. “So you just kind of follow and try not to get in anyone’s way. But document real moments of what’s going on.”

The video above was edited by Will Croxton.

Source link

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment