Research of two,000 adults discovered simply 38 p.c take into account their property to be excellent – however had been fully proud of their abode by the age of 43. Renovating the kitchen had the greatest affect on reaching the excellent place (42 p.c), adopted by a lounge makeover (32 p.c) and a brand new toilet (26 p.c). Other adjustments folks made to get their home simply as they wished it had been re-tiling the toilet (39 p.c), putting in new home windows (37 p.c) and changing the entrance door (40 p.c). An additional 34 p.c landscaped the backyard.
The research commissioned by glass specialist, Pilkington United Kingdom, additionally revealed that of those that have their excellent home, 48 p.c mentioned they are going to by no means transfer once more.
But it additionally emerged that it took a median of 5 years after moving in earlier than householders felt their place was excellent.
Julia Berkin, from Pilkington United Kingdom, mentioned: “The research proves it’s all of the little changes which make a big difference to a property.
“Why move when you can improve? It’s clearly worth the patience, the outgoings and even the disagreements to live in your dream home as a result.
“The list of things people did to their properties in order to achieve the perfect place vary from decorating and extending to letting more light in by adding windows and opening up rooms.
“It’s interesting to see how people are adapting their homes, especially given the amount of time we’re spending in them currently while they double up as workspaces.”
The analysis additionally discovered greater than 1 / 4 changed all the inside doorways to enhance their abode and make houses really feel lighter and extra open plan, whereas a fifth prolonged the property and 14 p.c added a conservatory or orangery.
When it comes to what makes the excellent home, two thirds (66 p.c) mentioned that it’s ‘very important’ to have a number of pure mild.
As a end result, 12 p.c even put in extra home windows, whereas 35 p.c added double glazing.
But 33 p.c named an absence of cash as one in every of the obstacles to overcome in order to give you the option to create the excellent home, whereas others blamed planning permission difficulties (16 p.c) and even disagreements with the different half (15 p.c).
It additionally emerged that of the 62 p.c who’re but to achieve their ‘perfect’ home – an eighth suppose they are going to achieve it and are at present engaged on it, whereas 17 p.c are in the planning course of.
The research additionally discovered that when it comes to inspiration, 1 / 4 of house owners flip to TV exhibits, whereas 16 p.c browse on-line.
Almost one in 5 (19 p.c) even scroll by means of property agent web sites to encourage their renovation tasks.
Top 30 issues householders did to achieve their excellent home
1. Repainted inside rooms
2. Installed a brand new toilet
3. A brand new entrance door
4. Re-tiled the toilet
5. Got rid of outdated wall paper
6. Changed the lighting
7. Installed new home windows
8. Installed double glazed home windows
9. Landscaped backyard
10. A brand new heating system
11. New flooring all through the home
12. Re-painted the exterior of the home
13. New inside doorways
14. Enclosed the backyard for privateness
15. Built an extension
16. Installed a fireplace place / wooden burner
17. Converted a bed room to a home workplace
18. Created an open plan kitchen/diner
19. Installed a greenhouse / potting shed
20. Knocked down an inside wall to open up area
21. Added decking to the backyard
22. Built a conservatory/orangery
23. Added a utility room separate from the kitchen
24. Installed additional home windows for extra pure mild
25. Loft conversion
26. Added Velux skylight home windows
27. Exposed the pure floorboards
28. Added an en-suite
29. Converted the storage to a room
30. Added a rainforest-style bathe